Want to support Ukraine? Here’s a list of charities by subject
I posted this as a comment in another thread but since so many people are asking how they can support Ukraine, I thought I would make this a separate post. The Kyiv Independent recently did a spotlight on many different charities across Ukraine. I’ll list the charities they mentioned by subject. All text/copy that you see below was written by the [Kyiv Independent](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1478812778198704128) journalists.
Mods: I am not affiliated with the Kyiv Independent or any of the charities mentioned below. I do not financially profit from any contributions made to the Kyiv Independent or any of these charities. I just saw that a lot of people are wanting to help Ukrainians so I just want to share a resource list on how to do so:
[**Charities that help the war effort**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1475104548083617792)
* [Save Life](https://savelife.in.ua/donate/): This NGO crowdfunds non-lethal military equipment, such as thermal vision scopes & supplies it to the Donbas front lines. It also provides training for Ukrainian soldiers, as well as researching troops’ needs and social reintegration of veterans.
* [Donbas SOS](https://www.donbasssos.org/en/): This organization helps those who live in the Donbas war zone, those who relocated to other parts of Ukraine, and freed prisoners of war. It offers legal support, accommodation assistance, and psychological aid among other things.
* [Crimea SOS](https://krymsos.com): This organization has been helping internally displaced people from Crimea since Russia occupied the peninsula in 2014. It documents Russian authorities’ repressions against Crimeans and advocates for the end of the occupation.
* [Hospitallers ](https://facebook.com/hospitallers/): This is a medical battalion that unites volunteer paramedics and doctors to save the lives of soldiers on the frontline. They crowdfund their vehicle repairs, fuel, and medical equipment.
[**Charities that help children**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1474762967581442054)
* [Tabletochki](https://tabletochki.org/): This foundation has been supporting children with cancer for 10 years. They procure medicines, equipment, and arrange overseas treatment, among other things.
* [ChildrenWeWillMakeIt](https://vstygnemo.org.ua/): This movement grew out of a campaign that raised $2 million to get the world’s most expensive medicine for a Ukrainian boy with spinal muscular atrophy. It now fundraises for the treatment of other Ukrainian children with SMA.
* [Ruka ob Ruku](https://ruka-ob-ruku.com.ua/en/index.html): This is a running club for children with disabilities. The initiative gives children an opportunity to train and take part in races together with their parents and volunteers.
[**Charities for the elderly**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1477953071103815683)
* [Happy Old](https://happyold.com.ua): This charity provides older people across Ukraine with groceries and medicine, holds educational, entertainment, and sports events, as well as helps with employment. They even created a modeling agency for the elderly.
* [Let’s Help](https://letshelp.com.ua/): This charity cares for older people living alone and helps state retirement homes. They also advocate for better treatment of older people by the state, including providing people aged 60+ with easy access to education.
* [Starenki](https://starenki.com.ua/): It’s a charitable initiative devoted to issues of old age in Ukraine. They help lonely seniors by providing them with groceries and hygiene products.
[**Charities that help women**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1478810123900534785)
* [Women Perspectives](http://women.lviv.ua): This organization has been helping women who have faced domestic violence, discrimination in the labor market, and other issues. The NGO works with local and state authorities to promote pro-equality gender policies in Ukraine.
* [Marsh Zhinok (Women’s March)](https://marsh-zhinok.com.ua/): Every year, on March 8, this initiative holds a rally promoting gender equality and the protection of women from gender-based violence. Currently, the organization is petitioning for Ukraine to adopt the Istanbul Convention.
[**Charities for blood donation**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1477647902956740608)
* [Blood Agents](https://t.co/YeSSktWhJK): It is an NGO that promotes regular, conscious and gratuitous blood donations. They have encouraged people to donate blood over 5,000 times over the past six years.
* [Donor UA](https://www.donor.ua): It is an automated system for recruiting and managing blood donors, designed to promote the donor movement in Ukraine. You can help by signing up and donating blood or by supporting the project with money donation.
[**Charities for animals**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1477279880245088259)
* [Sirius](https://dogcat.com.ua): Is the largest shelter for stray animals in Ukraine established in 2000. Its capacity is over 3,000 animals. The institution crowdfunds for animal feed, veterinary drugs, construction and repair of enclosures, and other needs.
* [Happy Paw](https://happypaw.ua/ua): Is a charity dedicated to solving the problems of homeless animals in Ukraine. The charity helps owners find lost animals, sterilizes domestic animals of people in need & holds lectures on humane treatment of homeless animals for schoolchildren.
* [UAnimals](https://www.facebook.com/UAnimals.official/): Is a movement for protecting animals from exploitation & abuse. The organization managed to achieve a ban on animal circuses & persuaded many designers participating in Ukrainian Fashion Week to abandon natural fur.
[**Charities for the environment**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1476865614673289228)
* [Ukraine Without Waste](https://nowaste.com.ua): It is a Ukrainian non-profit promoting the practice of sorting household waste. They educate companies on how to go green at their offices, and hold lectures for the wider public.
* [Laska](https://laskastore.com): It’s a chain of two charity stores in Kyiv that promote conscious shopping. They accept donated clothes, resell 15% of them, and send the rest to orphanages, homes for the elderly and centers for people with disabilities.
[**Charities for the homeless**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1476514193004187650)
* [Help the homeless](https://m.facebook.com/pomogi.bezdomnomu/?__nodl&ref=external%3At.co&_rdr): This initiative supports homeless people & the elderly in need, by providing them with free meals, medicine, hygiene products, clothes & shoes. Launched by a group of volunteers in 2016, the organization has been relying on crowdfunding.
* [Suka Zhizn](https://t.co/oBWjKmjs0a): This organization grew big from a 2017 Instagram account launched to tell stories of homeless people. Now volunteers provide various support to the homeless: employment, sorting out documents, searching for relatives & legal counseling.
[**Charities for investigative journalism**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1476170616432640007)
* [Slidstvo](https://t.co/nbG0czw6Nk): Is an independent agency launched in 2012 that produces award-winning documentaries exposing corruption. They have investigated mismanagement of prisons, fraud, money laundering at PrivatBank & the assassination of journalist Sheremet.
* [UKRPravda News](https://t.co/UYGHkmShOo): Founded in 2000 by Gongadze, a prominent journalist who was killed the same year, this publication is among the most influential in Ukraine. The reporters break political scoops and unmask officials who abuse their power.
* [Zaborona Media](https://zaborona.com/): This is an independent media outlet founded by journalists. They investigate topics such as violations of Ukrainian workers’ rights in the Middle East, arms trafficking, and corruption in the construction sector.
[**Charities that preserve Ukrainian cultural heritage**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1475820631509942273)
* [Parkhomivka Museum](http://museumparhomovka.com.ua): The museum, located in a small village in eastern Kharkiv Oblast, is an 18th-century villa that offers a permanent collection of exhibits by artists as iconic as Picasso, Malevich & Manet. You can support it by coming & buying a ticket.
* [Save Kyiv Modernism](https://t.co/QHfs9rYB3T): Is a movement that unites architects, designers and activists who advocate for the protection of the remarkable Soviet modernist structures across Ukraine.
* [FrankivskToCareAbout](https://www.facebook.com/groups/342879319403810/?ref=share): Is a movement for the preservation of architectural heritage in the western city of Ivano-Frankivsk. Founded in 2016, the initiative renovates old wooden doors of the city’s ancient buildings.
[**Charities helping with covid**](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1475402245349031938)
* [Svoyi](http://svoyi.com.ua): Svoyi gives free oxygen concentrators to people who contracted COVID & can’t be hospitalized due to personal circumstances or when hospitals are overflowing. It also helps those discharged too early in favour of patients in more serious conditions.
* [Monsters, Inc.](http://monstrov.org/): This organization is based in Odesa and provides emergency medical aid to people living in the region. They also help COVID hospitals, procuring medicines and equipment.
EDIT: 26/2/22 – There have been a lot of requests to add various charities/resources. Usual disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of these organizations. I am adding a few below. Before donating, PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH about them. The one that I will emphasize as legit is directly from the Ukrainian government (first link below). Also, I appreciate the Reddit awards but please save your money and donate to any of the causes instead. And finally, I want to reiterate that all of the credit for the original post above this line goes to the brave journalists at [the Kyiv Independent](https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent). I am merely someone who compiled their Twitter messages and formatted the links. [Please support their work](https://kyivindependent.com/), they are an important voice that is telling the world about what’s going on in Ukraine right now.
[**From Ukraine’s official Twitter page**](https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1497294422354055171)
* [Donate directly to the Ukrainian army.](https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsionalniy-bank-vidkriv-spetsrahunok-dlya-zboru-koshtiv-na-potrebi-armiyi) The National Bank of Ukraine has an account to raise money for their armed forced. They also accept [crypto donations.](https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1497594592438497282?s=20&t=aG5blzDGu1Pt14w9qZOIrw)
**Other links.** (These below have *not* been vouched for by the Kyiv Independent, so please for the love of Ukraine [DYOR](https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=DYOR) people!):
* From /u/Zestyclose-Pea-3533 – [Orphan’s Aid Society](http://www.oasukraine.org/): “OAS provides material and moral support for Ukrainian orphans and half orphans up to 18 years of age. For those orphans pursuing their education in institutions of higher learning stipend assistance can be maintained. OAS focuses on children outside of state funded institutions. It is our belief that a family environment is more conducive to a child’s development than that of an institution. Hence our approach of providing direct financial assistance to guardians and relatives of orphans who might otherwise not be able to support an orphaned child.”
* From /u/Morkava – [Blue Yellow](https://www.blue-yellow.lt/lt/): “This is Lithuanian group that is directly supporting Ukraine militias for 8 years. They have direct contact with them and know the current needs.”
* From /u/AntoineMichelashvili – [The Chabad Center](https://www.mishpachaorphanage.org/templates/fundraising/default_cdo/aid/5405630/jewish/Campaign.htm/utm_source/70FM/utm_medium/eblast/utm_campaign/donate): “The Jewish community in Ukraine is in need of your assistance during these dire times. As the threat of war intensifies, Mishpacha Chabad Odessa is preparing to support the hundreds of Jews who are unable to evacuate the country including orphans, students, and Holocaust survivors. Preparations are also underway to absorb Jewish refugees from the surrounding regions of Kharkiv, Kiev, and Dnieper. $500,000 in donations are urgently needed to purchase medical gear, protective equipment, and basic necessities such as clothes and sleeping bags. Money is also needed to help stock emergency shelters with several tons of cereal, buckwheat, sugar, rice, flour and other non-perishable staples. These donations will also help defray the costs of additional security personnel arriving from Israel to help protect the Jewish community.”
* From /u/CoinGate – [CoinGate – Helping Ukraine collect funds from the crypto community.](https://coingate.com/support-ukraine): “Support Ukraine by donating crypto to the National Bank of Ukraine (NBU) special accounts that will be used to support the Armed Forces of Ukraine. All transactions are approved and settled by International Business Settlement in Lithuania (IBS), who will also help ensure the transparency of the movement of the funds.”
* From /u/waterynike – [BStrong](https://bethenny.com/bstrong): “BStrong in partnership with Global Empowerment Mission has committed to sending 100,000 hygiene kits, blankets, generators, and sleeping bags to Ukraine’s NATO bordering countries.Initial commitment of supplies will exceed $10M. Our teams will be on the ground in Rzeszów Poland (Polish border to Ukraine) starting February 25, 2022 setting up base camp refugee operations with our Polish and Ukrainian partners.”